Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Gergie stories

I have been meaning to be better about writing on here the random funny things Kendall says throughout the day. Randy and I just laugh at her all day long - we think everything she says and does is funny. For instance, just today at lunch Randy was messing around with Kendall and playing with her, then he went to make his lunch and Kendall got back in her chair. She was looking at Cooper and playing and talking to her and she said, "Cooper, your daddy is so silly!" So funny!

Just recently she has said some funny things about Greg Johnson - "Gergie" - that I haven't written down yet. I think I put them on facebook, but I never blogged about them and I wanted to remember what she said. Greg is currently a journeyman with the IMB in Brazil. She loved him so much before he left and has been missing him a lot. She calls him Gergie because when he graduated from A&M and moved back to LJ, she was 2 and people with the same name really confused her. Our pastor's name is Greg, so we asked Greg J what he wanted to be called and he said "Gergie." So that's who he is. :)

We're still not sure why she was so stuck on this, but for the longest time she would say to us in the most pitiful voice, "Mom, I'm so sad because I miss my Gergie." We would tell her we were sorry and that it was ok, he would be back, all of that. Finally we honestly got a little tired of it. It was - no lie - at least once a day. Every day. Sometimes more. So we started telling her, "Kendall, it is totally ok for you to miss Gergie. But you can't be sad. Gergie is doing what God wants him to do. He is telling children and mommies and daddies in Brazil that Jesus loves them. We are glad that Gergie is doing that. So you can miss him, but you need to not be sad because we want him to do what God wants him to do." She seemed to really get this. Now this is what we hear (and not quite as often these days): "Mom, you know what? I am happy because I miss my Gergie!!" So funny. Guess she got it!

So a few weeks after that conversation, we were watching Mulan. She loves Mulan. In the beginning when Mulan goes to see the matchmaker lady things go wrong and the "mean lady" gets mad and tells Mulan to go away. One day Kendall was watching that part and she said, "Dad, why is that lady so mean to Mulan?" Randy said, "Well, Kendall, I don't know! She must just not know how to be nice." Kendall said, "Why Dad? Because she doesn't know Jesus loves her?" Randy said, "Well, yeah, I guess." Kendall said, "Because Gergie hasn't told her?" Randy said, "Yeah, probably that!" Then Kendall said, "Why hasn't he told her yet Dad? Cause she's in the t.v.?" Oh my gosh!!! We were cracking up. "cause she's in the tv??" Hil.ar.i.ous!

On a little more serious note....Kendall started associating Gergie with being the one that needed to tell them Jesus loves them. So we have started to talk to her some about how we can tell people that Jesus loves them in Lake Jackson! I love how this is so new and just coming alive to her. And she just sees it as something so practical and like, why wouldn't we do that?? Not real sure I ever thought these were the conversations I would have with my 3 year old, but I'll take them as they come and I will learn so much about our calling as Christ-followers - even through Kendall!

No comments: