Friday, September 19, 2008

Still No Power

Yes, we still have no power in Lake Jackson. Randy drove down here Monday to check on our house and found out everything was ok except our fence is down and our shed was a mess. We are so thankful nothing else was wrong with our house! Kendall and I rode down on Tuesday with our friends the Beams because Randy and I evacuated in one car. That was quite an adventure: 3 adults, 4 kids, Molly, and all our stuff. We made it though! And I was thankful that they brought me so Randy didn't have to come up or someone didn't have to drive me down. It was good to be back with Ran and see our house for myself. We are staying at our friends the Johnson's house - they have power. They have been wonderful to host us and the Sanders. It is a full house, but we are having fun! 
It is crazy to drive around town and see all the damage. There are SO many trees and limbs down that it is amazing there is not more damage to houses. There is definitely some damage though. Yesterday we saw a house that had a tree on it that had totally lost their second story. I feel so sorry for them. It makes my lack of power and fence seem trivial. 
We read a story in the paper this morning that said 1000 workers for Centerpoint are coming to Lake Jackson and Clute this weekend to help restore power. Maybe we will get power back by early next week. 
Most of the town is still without power, and a lot of people are at their homes sleeping with the windows open. Several people have come over to Kevin and Jan's to do laundry or blow-dry their hair. Schools are still closed because there is no power. Some businesses are open, and all the Dow employees are back to work. I can't imagine having to go to work without being able to blow-dry or curl my hair! Even though we are having fun here, we are very ready for power to be back on at our house. Kendall has had some trouble sleeping and I'm sure she's ready to be back in her own bed. Last night was the 9th night she was not in her own bed. She also has a very runny nose and that is causing her to have trouble sleeping too. I feel so bad for her that I can't make it better. 
We leave tomorrow morning to head to College Station for the A&M game, so we are excited about that. Granny is meeting us there to hang out with Kendall. Fun times!
Sorry this was kind of just a stream of consciousness! I just wanted to update everyone with what is going on with us and explain why we have not had any Kendall pictures lately! Hopefully we will be home and have power very soon! 

2 comments:

auntkasey said...

It's good to hear that your house is still in good shape! And what sweet friends you have that will put you up!
And for Kendall's nose, when we got to/left Mom's Henry's nose was disgusting! When we got home we plugged in his cool air humidifier and it dried up over night. Keep that in mind! It was the first time since May that he slept through the night!! We'll keep it going until he moves to college!
Have fun at the game!

Gigi and Peeps said...

Hope yesterday was fun even though the game was lost. I know Granny enjoyed her time with Kendall too. I know you guys are ready to be home and in your own beds. I'm ready for the cell phone coverage to be better. We miss talking to you guys on a regular basis. I knew the blog was a lifesaver but now that we haven't had any new pics in awhile...I'm realizing how much we depend on it!! We love you guys and think about you every day. Praying for things to get back to "normal" asap.