Wednesday, June 2, 2010

"My Big Girl's Bed"

After our trip to Ft. Worth this weekend, we decided Sunday to let Kendall try taking a nap in her big girl bed. We have been playing in her room, working on getting it ready for her, and letting her sit and read books on her bed, so when we told her she was going to get to take a nap in there, she was really excited. In fact, we were in our bedroom and when we asked her if she wanted to nap in there, she took off running. When we followed her, this is what we found:

She was ready for sure!!
We tucked her in and read some books and she was pretty excited.



She cried when we walked out, but I gave it a minute before going back in. When I went in, she was sitting up in bed crying. I read with her some more, we went over the rules about going to sleep and not getting up again, and then I left. This time it was quiet, but pretty soon we thought we heard something hit her door. I went in to check and sure enough, she was walking from the door back to her bed. I picked her up, got her babies, and told her that she was going to have to sleep in her crib because she couldn't stay in her big girl bed. I walked her into her room and put her in her crib and just walked out and shut the door. She started crying HARD and saying "I-want-my-big-girl-bed!!" over and over again. I waited a minute or two and then went in there and held her and told her that she could only sleep in her big girl bed if she stayed in it. I told her I would give her another chance. I laid her in her bed, covered her up, walked out, and she slept all afternoon!!!
That night, we asked her if she wanted to spend all night in her big girl room. She was so happy about it and told us she wanted to. We read books, said our prayers, sang some, tucked her in, and she didn't make a sound. She slept from 8:30 Sunday night until 9:00 Monday morning! I was a little worried that she might start not sleeping as late, being in a new room, but that hasn't been the case! She has slept until at least 9 all week. What a big girl! We are so proud of her and thankful that the transition was so easy! We're not quite finished with the room: Randy is going to build some shelves and Schelli is coming to paint tomorrow, but we will post before and after pictures soon!!
Oh - and the reason the post is titled the way it is - all week Kendall has been telling everyone about getting to sleep in her new bed. Except everytime she says it, she says, "I sleep in my big girl's bed!" We think is super cute how she puts an "s" on the end of girl. So funny! We had our small group over Monday night for Leg 2 of the Amazing Race and Kendall was so funny - anytime someone would come in, she would get them and run with them to her new room to show them! She's so proud of herself!

1 comment:

Gigi and Peeps said...

I am so proud of you! I knew you were such a BIG GIRL!