Thursday, April 1, 2010

"I'm scary!"

Kendall is going through a phase right now where she is really scared of a bunch of things. It just started a week or two ago, and we are ready for it to be over! The first thing we noticed her being scared of are those big mosquito-hawks that are everywhere right now. She sees one and screams, "Bug!!" and doesn't calm down until we kill it. The fear of bugs has now translated to ANY bugs: rolly pollys, ants, and all the bugs we see in our garden.
This weekend we worked in the yard a bunch, and when Randy had the lawn mower going, she ran over to me and said, "I'm scary" with her hand covering her eyes.
Then, she and and I were playing in the front yard one afternoon this week and our elderly neighbor from across the street walked over to talk to me. Kendall ran into the house, and when I went to check on her, she told me she was "scary" again.
None of those have been as bad as what we encountered today, though. I wasn't at school today, so when I picked her up, I asked her a bunch of questions about what they did at their egg hunt. This is what I heard the whole way home, until I put her down for a nap:
"Mommy, Easer bunny. I'm scary. I close my eyes." Over and over again. And then, she had been asleep for about an hour when she woke up, crying, saying my name. When I went in to her room, she sat up and said, "Bunny. Easer bunny mama." Oh my. It broke my heart. I told her we wouldn't see the Easter bunny again, and I rocked her, and she fell back asleep. The same thing happened about 30 minutes later, so I just went ahead and got her up. We were a little nervous about taking her to the park for the city hunt, because we knew there would be an Easter bunny there. Turns out she didn't ever see the bunny, but she did see the big Chick-fil-a cow that was walking around. She told us, "Cow. I'm scary." and covered her eyes. She is not a fan of the large, dressed up, character. I was the same way when I was little, so she comes by it naturally!

2 comments:

auntkasey said...

Kendall, Henry feels ya sister! Of course, he's been very cautious about pretty much everything since birth. Hopefully this is a quick stage for you!

Jenny Hintze said...

That's funny...and sad. Jack used to say the same thing. One thing that I remember is that he would say "I'm scary of the potty video." We got the potty video for him to watch from the library. That's something that Phillip and I still say a lot..."I'm scary of the potty video." Kids.